Monday, December 22, 2008

pixar leaves the academy


If reading about the economy wasn't bad enough, it looks like the Spline Doctors have left the building. (thanks JD for the link)

This is a big blow for the Academy...these guys volunteered their time and passion for years, and the results speak for themselves (believe me..no one teaches for the money)...I've worked with tons of people in the industry that have all said they wouldn't have made it in the industry had they not had those 'pixar' classes.

Grab a cup of coffee and read the comments.

6 comments:

Steve Masuda said...

Yeah, this really sucks. I wanted to attempt to try getting into the Pixar track.

jeff said...

It does suck. It's also unfortunate that there's a 'pixar' track at the AAU...on one hand it encourages some self-competition, on the other hand, it seems like that if you don't get in, you're left out in the cold..

I wish I had a good answer on this one, but that's a talented teaching staff heading out.

antar said...

WOW! this is big news. Maybe if more of the teachers give genuine critiques and get smaller class sizes, everyone can be more effective.

Steve Masuda said...

yeah unfortunately, there are so many who try out, and some that I think could easily get in, do not. There is this whole feeling that if you don't get into the Pixar classes, you're not a good at all. I don't think of it this way. I've talked to many of my classmates who have tried out and failed to get in, leaving them in this depressed state.

When I took your class, I had the best critiques I've ever received in an animation class ever. I like that you were nit-picky with things, because it made me work harder, and I saw things that I never would've thought of to fix. I benefited big time from your eCrits as well as the live ones. We need more instructors like you!

jeff said...

Thanks Steve..that's really nice to hear..it's hard to know how effective my teaching is, as the class sizes are so large and the skill level of the students is all over the place. Despite this, I really enjoy it, especially when students really apply themselves.

Anonymous said...

One more reason to go to Animation Mentor.....