Tuesday, January 6, 2009

interesting take on Desperaux

Interesting link to an art centric animation blog...

I just saw the Tale of Desperaux and really enjoyed it - it's a charming little story that doesn't endeavor to be anything more than a fable. The voice casting was fantastic and all the actors were transparent to me as a viewer (something that always bugs me about the stunt casting that's prevalent these days..I mean it works...Seth Rogen for instance is always funny, but I'm always left with the feeling of watching Seth Rogen in costume rather than the character, which in the end pulls me away from the illusion)

The article mentions how the production design was heavily drawn from the Leyden school of painting, and it really shows...everything from the props to the character designs all seem like they've walked out of a Vermeer. It's really nice to see a different look and feel to CG.

1 comment:

ANTAR said...

I didn't want to see this movie at first, but now i've been chumping at the bit ever since the Animation Magazine came out. (it had a very interesting article in there about it.)