Monday, June 8, 2009

GTD....great post from Jason

Jason points out that organizing skills aren't really something that's taught in school, and quite honestly, it's something I still struggle with. It was easier in my 20s when my life responsibilities were a fraction of what they are now, but now I find when the system breaks down, it can also really impact creativity as I struggle to catch up.

The Link

The impetus for Jason's blog posts are a utilization of David Allen's "Getting Things Done" methodology, which, at it's core, is an organizational system based on getting all the worry and lack of focus out of your head and onto a piece of paper/document to evaluate and prioritize. Basically, the goal is to get into the habit of constantly evaluating and prioritizing your life, acting on what you can.

Like any system, it's only useful if it works for you, but Jason has an interesting take on utilizing this methodology when it comes to planning your animation.

Last term I did 2 directed studies, one more successful than the other (this isn't to disparage anyone's animation abilities, but more goes to reflect on how process can help you or bite you in the tuchas)

Without going into specifics, one student didn't refine their 2d and 3d animatic, citing not enough time, and just plowed ahead without a strong enough plan, and consequently made relatively little progress. It's this prioritizing of time that can really be useful in looking at animation. Rather than a a big to do list that seems overwhelming, Jason suggests breaking the to do list into categories, like body, face, etc. in order to easily help focus one's priorities.

4 comments:

dannielo said...

If you’d like a tool for managing your time and projects, you can use this application inspired by David Allen’s GTD:

http://www.Gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage and prioritize your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.
A mobile version is available too.

jeff said...

great link...looks like a useful tool.

jason said...

gtdagenda certainly has some positive elements to it! I'm actually spending a week using it exclusively to keep track of my tasks and projects & blogging about the experience.

jeff said...

unfortunately, for me, I do a lot of my personal organizing offline, or through whatever laptop I have handy...not being the most organized person out there, I'm finding some solutions that work for me by actually separating out my tasks.

though I'm hardly qualified to blog about organization...I'll post what I've been doing. It's basically a combination of paper lists that get put into a combination of evernote and mindmanager...

I'm really enjoying the detailed workflow you're posting Jason..keep at it!